Here are a few things I didn’t know about how the essence of ‘time’ would change in my world after kids.
1) I didn’t know that my kids would learn to say ‘just a minute’ to me by the time they were 3.
2) And that “just a minute” meant “i’m probably never going to do what you are asking.”
3) I didn’t know I need to add an extra 30-40 minutes into any ‘getting ready time’.
4) I didn’t know I could go from an ‘always-on-time-girl’ to ‘sorry, I’m running just a few minutes late’
5) I didn’t know that NEEDING to get out the door by a specific time is as good as asking my kids to dirty their diaper, run to the potty, rip off their shoes or unzip their coats
6) I didn’t know that re-reading the same 5 minute story 5 times in a row would feel like 5 hours
7) 30 seconds of sibling fighting sounds like 3 hours
8) 1 minute of my children in any kind of pain feels like a lifetime
9) 1 hour alone is heavenly, 1 day alone is divine, 2 days or more and I actually feel like I’ve been away from them forever.
10) The ‘years’ I’ve had with them so far are slipping through my fingers like sand at the beach
11) I would stop time with them if I could