I seem to have some serious flaws I need to get off my chest…I think I’ll feel better just sharing them with you.
1) I just spilled Cracker Jack crumbs all over my desk (no, I’m not a 6 year old…I think Cracker Jacks are ok, but I just happen to have some lying around when I started scavenging) This leads to my next problem:
2) I can’t stop eating. Doesn’t matter if I’m not hungry. Doesn’t matter that I’ve been avoiding buying the bad stuff (except for the Cracker Jacks….but there is a story behind them. I won’t bore you) If it is here, I’m eating it…take for example the 5 slices of Kraft singles I ate at 11pm last night. No, I’m not joking. No, I really wasn’t hungry. Doesn’t matter that right now it is WELL past dinner time (10pm folks and I am still scouring my house for food) Why do I find myself searching for food when I should be working, writing, etc.? If you actually stand in the pantry while you are eating, I’m fairly certain that is an indication you should PUT. THE. FOOD. DOWN. AND. WALK. AWAY.
3) I am the consummate procrastinator. If I need to do something, I put it on my to-do list and then promptly misplace my to-do list. I have STUFF I NEED TO DO. Does it look like I’m doing it? Nope…procrastinating all the way. In college I used to say, “pressure makes diamonds”. That’s all well and good when you have a term paper, but when your ‘stuff to do’ is just life, it doesn’t really seem to fly.
4) I am disorganized. I am a paper magnet. I have purchased books on organization. Bet you can guess I haven’t read them. In my defense, I have started them, but haven’t finished. Hence the organizational issues.
5) I am uncharacteristically (say that 5 times) impatient. I find myself being frustrated with my kids over things that are JUST KID THINGS. Do I really need to snap at my daughter when she stands on the windowsill, or blows the same whistle for the 417,000th time, or when she growls at her brother? Do I really need to get tense when my son (who you know hasn’t been feeling well) asks to be held for the 417,000th time…while I’m trying to make breakfast, or lunch, or dinner?
6) I am tired (Coop only slept about 4 hours last night) I really want to crawl into bed and read a book. But I need to work. What is so pressing you ask? Much. Much. Much.
Even writing this list is making my chest feel tighter. Gunk. I was hoping for a little relief. How about a collective deep breath? Here we go….inhale one, two, three, four five. Exhale one, two, three, four, five. You doing it? I’m doing it again, so you have a chance to catch up if you need.
Well now, don’t I just feel a bit better? Not necessarily the organized-I-can-control-my-eating-I’m-not-procrastinating-anymore-better…but it is a start. At least the elephant got off my chest. He was heavy.